Skip to main content

Be inspired to create not imitate


Hi There!

So glad that you decided to pop up here and check out my blog. It’s been years since I’ve last blogged and even that didn’t last very long (Oops!). But, if you are here, I believe that means that you saw the campaign that I’ve started on Instagram called #inspirationvsimitation.

Photo and artwork by @valster73. Do not use without permission.

I wrote a very long caption to go with the post on Instagram that kick-started the campaign. But in all honesty, I felt like there were still other things that I wanted to mention or address on this topic that I couldn’t fit in the IG post. And so, with the encouragement of a dear friend, I’ve decided to write it all in a blog. This blog.

In case you missed the post/caption on Instagram, let me give you a bit of a background story first (and if you have read the caption, I’ll just be repeating a few things).

Several months ago I discovered someone copy my artwork along with someone else’s. This was not the first time it had happened to me, and like the previous incidents, the person copying had no idea that there’s a difference between being inspired and copying. Most, if not all, in my cases, the copying was done out of innocence. Now, I know there are also people out there who malicious rip artists off, but this campaign is not for them. According to Jessica Hische in her article on “Inspiration vs. Imitation”, she wrote, “they are evil and cannot be helped.” (link to Jessica Hische’s article: http://adcglobal.org/jessica-hische-inspiration-vs-imitation/ )

And so, in most of my cases, the person copying was still learning, and claimed to be inspired by my work, but in reality pretty much copied my entire work or major parts of it.
Now I understand that copying is part of the learning process, but you can’t claim it as your own work. Yes, you did draw it/letter it/painted it but you did not come up with the original idea/layout/design. I love how Jessica Hische explains it in her article that I mentioned before.

When you’re learning, it’s not wrong to copy people—to learn from them the way that they learned from others before them. What many young artists have a problem realizing though, is that the work you create while practicing and learning is completely separate of what you do professionally. Just because you can play OK Computer cover to cover doesn’t mean you should record an album of your renditions and release them under your name. You know that any such action would leave you up to your eyeballs in legal problems. Copy all you wish in private, and once you feel confident in your skills, create your own original public work.

It’s pretty sad to see that most of the time the people who copy other people’s work usually don’t even mention the original artist who “inspired” them. They just flat out copy. Sometimes they do tag the artist but there tend to be no explanation in the caption, or if there is, it would usually say: “inspired by”. I do understand that we all draw inspiration from somewhere but there is a difference between copying and being inspired.

As much as artists and creative people love to inspire others, I believe I speak for the majority of them that imitation is NOT the highest form of flattery (contrast to what Oscar Wilde said). Now I’m not saying, “oh better not tag the artist so I don’t get in trouble.” but learn to give proper credit if you do copy or draw inspiration from someone. And if you are unsure, just don’t post it. Remember, not everything you make needs to be on the Internet.

Another great article that speaks on this topic (that I highly recommend you read!) is by Steven Bradley, titled “The Line Between Inspired By And Copied From, And How To Stay On Its Right Side.” This article not only captures my heart on this issue but also gives you some practical tips on how to do it. You can find the article here: https://vanseodesign.com/web-design/inspired-by-copied-from/

For me personally, staying away from work that is similar to mine helps a lot. I recently shared a bunch of lettering accounts to follow on Instagram, and if you saw it and checked out the people I recommended, you’ll notice that a lot of those accounts have a very different style than mine. In fact, I don’t actually follow a lot of brush lettering accounts. Not because I don’t like them but it helps me avoid creating something too similar with others in my field. Also, it pushes me to be more creative because I need to create it in my own style.

I also love what Steven wrote at the end of his article. He writes, “No one should look at your work and think it’s a copy of another design. If they connect your work to the original inspiration, that’s okay, but they should never even think the word copy.” I think this is a great way to measure if you are copying or not. Have people look at your work and show them the original artwork that inspired it. If they are too much alike, then go back and make more changes. I know this is not the most exciting thing to do but this will help you in your creative journey in the long run.

I am no expert in the design and art world but I hope this article helps and can shine a light on this issue about inspiration versus imitation. I’m not here to rebuke or condemn anyone, but just want to create an awareness on this topic in the design community, especially for the young ones who are just starting. For some of us, not copying someone’s work is just common sense. We understand this. But to some, this is not as common as you think. And so the heart behind this is to educate people and to encourage people to create, because isn’t that what creative people / artists / designers are supposed to do? To create, not imitate.

Sincerely,
Vallery

P.S. If you’d like to join the campaign #inspirationvsimitation on Instagram, you can create a post with the phrase “be inspired to create not imitate” and use the hashtag #inspirationvsimitation so that we can all see it. Share in your caption your story and thoughts on this issue and tag a few fellow creatives to join you in the campaign.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To copy or not to copy, that is the question.

Hi! Let me first start by saying thank you to everyone who has shown love and support for this campaign #inspirationvsimitation. So many of you have shared my recent blog post “ An Open Letter To The Girl Who Sent Me a DM ” on Instagram. It warms my heart to know that this spoke to a lot of people, and I love in particularly how some of the newbies in lettering have found the article helpful. The goal has always been to help others and to encourage people to do better. Now, it has come to my attention that there are artists out there who are completely okay with people copying their favorite artist’s work, or any work for that matter. Some even encourages it. I believe this causes a bit of confusion for some people, if not a lot. So you may ask, “What are we supposed to do then? Is it okay to copy or not?” If you’ve read my previous blog post than you’d know that I do not recommend copying people’s artwork. I personally suggest that you focus on copying techniques and th

"Make Instagram Great Again" // A Collaboration With @just.drawing.words

--> Artwork by @just.drawing.words & @valster73. Do not use without permission. I think it’s safe to say that I’m not the only one who misses the old Instagram days, when you could just go to Instagram and scroll down to your heart's content and see the posts of all the people you follow, with no algorithm telling you what you should or should not see; where we had the freedom to make our own judgment on what we wanted to see and not, without having to spend so much time choosing and engaging just so that these posts of the people we follow keep appearing in our feeds. So when I saw this campaign/initiative by Matthieu Tarrin (IG @tarwane ) and James Lewis (IG @jamesllewis ) about making Instagram great again, I knew I wanted to participate too. Part of the challenge of this campaign was to collaborate with another creative person, so when Sonia from @just.drawing.words and @soniaydesigns approached me to do a collaboration with her for this, I was more th

Go At Your Own Pace

I woke up yesterday morning to an email from Mye De Leon . This email was a great reminder that I think a lot of people need to hear (myself included). Let me quote you some of the words from her email: “ Creating for social media should never be your number one priority! There are way better reasons for you to focus on. Create because you want to: Practice and better your skills. Develop your own style. Share a message or a technique with your followers. If your purpose for creating is because you need to post on Instagram, it'll eventually burn you out.” Well, let me tell you that I have been there and done that. I originally started posting my lettering mainly to practice and document my progress, which eventually led to developing my own style. I was so dedicated to practicing that I made a commitment back in November 2015 to practice lettering everyday for 100 days. It was awesome! I could see how quick I was improving. It was hard work, bu