Skip to main content

Go At Your Own Pace


I woke up yesterday morning to an email from Mye De Leon. This email was a great reminder that I think a lot of people need to hear (myself included). Let me quote you some of the words from her email:
Creating for social media should never be your number one priority! There are way better reasons for you to focus on.

Create because you want to:
  • Practice and better your skills.
  • Develop your own style.
  • Share a message or a technique with your followers.

If your purpose for creating is because you need to post on Instagram, it'll eventually burn you out.”

Well, let me tell you that I have been there and done that. I originally started posting my lettering mainly to practice and document my progress, which eventually led to developing my own style. I was so dedicated to practicing that I made a commitment back in November 2015 to practice lettering everyday for 100 days. It was awesome! I could see how quick I was improving. It was hard work, but it was totally worth it. After the 100 days were over, I continued to try to create everyday to keep the momentum going because I still had so much to learn and to improve, and I pretty much did so until the end of 2017.

Then 2018 happened, and it all changed. Life just got busier. My workload almost doubled at work and I needed to balance life better (I was making poor health choices too that needed to change). I struggled juggling it all: work, life, and lettering. It probably didn’t help that the algorithm on Instagram was in full swing by this time as well. As I posted less and less, I noticed that not only did my engagement significantly dropped, I also started losing followers. Yes, I know that we should not focus on the number of likes and followers we have. I can honestly say that I have come to that point now where I no longer care. Okay, that’s a lie. I do care a little, but not so much. I don’t post to get likes and followers. I post because I want to share with the world what I’ve created, and I create because I enjoy it. However, it still sucks when you post an artwork that you’ve put your heart and soul into, and only 2-3% of your followers will actually see it or like it. But anyway, back to 2018.

At the time I took it quite personal and thought the drop of engagement and followers were a reflection of my work (which only later I learned that it was not), and it was the result of not posting everyday. Because of this, I felt this immense pressure of having to constantly create something great and post everyday like I did before. And you know what,…. I ended up getting burned out. Plus, the more pressure I put on myself, the more creatively stuck I became. It was a vicious cycle! Eventually I just had to take a break from it all and re-evaluate everything.

Like I mentioned before, I have now come to that point where I don’t care as much. It took me awhile to get there but during the second half of 2018, I finally accepted that I no longer am able to create everyday due to my workload at work, and that’s okay. I will continue to create whenever I can and do it because I find enjoyment in it, whether in the end people like it or not like it, see it or not see it on Instagram (I've also learned that no matter what I do, I keep losing followers anyway so I've stopped looking at those numbers). I will not pressure myself and compare myself with others on the Internet. I will go at my own pace and share my creative journey according to my own capacity.

Mye’s email continues and she says this:

You can go at your own pace.

Stop with the comparison game. If you can only produce limited artwork because you have a job, a family, children to tend to, pets and relationships to take care of, that's totally OK!

You need to acknowledge your strengths and your weaknesses because when you do, you can build a schedule that'll work better for you and the people you love.

Give yourself grace. Your routine is yours! Let others have theirs! Enjoy what you have and give your best for your people.”

Artwork by @valster73. Do not use without permission
I don’t know where you are at in your creative journey or what you are currently struggling with, but I hope that by sharing this, it brought some encouragement for you today. Take it easy if you need to, and don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone's got their own pace, and so do you.

Much love,
Val

Comments

Devina said…
U wrote this on my birthday !

Popular posts from this blog

To copy or not to copy, that is the question.

Hi! Let me first start by saying thank you to everyone who has shown love and support for this campaign #inspirationvsimitation. So many of you have shared my recent blog post “ An Open Letter To The Girl Who Sent Me a DM ” on Instagram. It warms my heart to know that this spoke to a lot of people, and I love in particularly how some of the newbies in lettering have found the article helpful. The goal has always been to help others and to encourage people to do better. Now, it has come to my attention that there are artists out there who are completely okay with people copying their favorite artist’s work, or any work for that matter. Some even encourages it. I believe this causes a bit of confusion for some people, if not a lot. So you may ask, “What are we supposed to do then? Is it okay to copy or not?” If you’ve read my previous blog post than you’d know that I do not recommend copying people’s artwork. I personally suggest that you focus on copying techniques and th

"Make Instagram Great Again" // A Collaboration With @just.drawing.words

--> Artwork by @just.drawing.words & @valster73. Do not use without permission. I think it’s safe to say that I’m not the only one who misses the old Instagram days, when you could just go to Instagram and scroll down to your heart's content and see the posts of all the people you follow, with no algorithm telling you what you should or should not see; where we had the freedom to make our own judgment on what we wanted to see and not, without having to spend so much time choosing and engaging just so that these posts of the people we follow keep appearing in our feeds. So when I saw this campaign/initiative by Matthieu Tarrin (IG @tarwane ) and James Lewis (IG @jamesllewis ) about making Instagram great again, I knew I wanted to participate too. Part of the challenge of this campaign was to collaborate with another creative person, so when Sonia from @just.drawing.words and @soniaydesigns approached me to do a collaboration with her for this, I was more th