Skip to main content

To copy or not to copy, that is the question.


Hi!
Let me first start by saying thank you to everyone who has shown love and support for this campaign #inspirationvsimitation. So many of you have shared my recent blog post “An Open Letter To The Girl Who Sent Me a DM” on Instagram. It warms my heart to know that this spoke to a lot of people, and I love in particularly how some of the newbies in lettering have found the article helpful. The goal has always been to help others and to encourage people to do better.

Now, it has come to my attention that there are artists out there who are completely okay with people copying their favorite artist’s work, or any work for that matter. Some even encourages it. I believe this causes a bit of confusion for some people, if not a lot.

So you may ask, “What are we supposed to do then? Is it okay to copy or not?”

If you’ve read my previous blog post than you’d know that I do not recommend copying people’s artwork. I personally suggest that you focus on copying techniques and the basics (letterforms, spacing, etc). Study and learn what makes a good design or a good lettering piece, and then in apply them to your work. I suggested staying away from outright copying someone’s artwork to avoid it becoming a habit. Now maybe this is different for illustrators and painters and other creative fields. If it is, please do enlighten me, as I’m not in those fields and don’t have much experience in it.

Some of you have shared with me that in the beginning of your creative journey you did copy others, but you did not post them online. You’ve kept them to yourselves until you were able to come up with your own ideas. This, I’m totally cool with! Copy all you want in private, but just make sure you don’t post it.

Jessica Hische talks about this in her article, “Inspiration versus Imitation.” She brings out a good point on how young designers and illustrators feel they need to post everything they’ve ever made online, whether that is practice or original work, and gives the following advice on the matter:

“It will be really hard to resist showing off the illustration you created that was inspired heavily by one of your heroes, because in reality it is probably one of the nicest things you’ve made. But that’s the thing, every new thing you make will be (should be) the nicest thing you’ve made so far, because you’re learning and getting better with each and every new project. Resist posting the practice—the piece that you know is too close to its inspiration. Let that practice fuel original work and then publish to your heart’s content.”

So What To Do...

What is the conclusion? To copy or not to copy? You know what,… I’m letting you decide what’s the right thing to do. All I ask is that you do this ONE THING…

Since different artists have different opinions about copying, please be sure that you always ASK PERMISSION FIRST before you copy someone’s work. This is the polite thing to do, if not the right thing.

If the artist is okay with you copying their work then go ahead. If they say yes but ask you not to post your practiced or copied work online, then make sure that you don’t. And if the artist says no, or says that they prefer that you didn’t (because we try to be polite), then please be respectful of that too. It may not be the answer you want to hear but you should respect their wishes regardless.


Photo and artwork by @valster73. Do not use without permission.
If you don’t know who the artist behind the artwork is, then I think it’s pretty clear that you do not post the work anywhere online to avoid getting yourself into trouble. What people fail to understand sometimes is that whatever work you post online becomes your portfolio, whether that’s on Behance or social media (like Instagram). And if I may quote my fellow-lettering artist and graphic designer, Ngah Muli Ong, “posting copied artwork as one’s own might lead to commercial benefits and that is wrong.”

I hope this brings a bit more clarity to the topic. If this helped you and/or if you have any questions related to this, please feel free to leave me a comment below.

Sincerely,
Vallery.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I usually am inspired and motivate on watching videos and simply looking at other artist’s work .. and for that i really like to have and discover my own style when it comes to painting .. ive tried copying and its hard because i know they have their own style and approach. So yeah their it is my own say ..

Popular posts from this blog

"Make Instagram Great Again" // A Collaboration With @just.drawing.words

--> Artwork by @just.drawing.words & @valster73. Do not use without permission. I think it’s safe to say that I’m not the only one who misses the old Instagram days, when you could just go to Instagram and scroll down to your heart's content and see the posts of all the people you follow, with no algorithm telling you what you should or should not see; where we had the freedom to make our own judgment on what we wanted to see and not, without having to spend so much time choosing and engaging just so that these posts of the people we follow keep appearing in our feeds. So when I saw this campaign/initiative by Matthieu Tarrin (IG @tarwane ) and James Lewis (IG @jamesllewis ) about making Instagram great again, I knew I wanted to participate too. Part of the challenge of this campaign was to collaborate with another creative person, so when Sonia from @just.drawing.words and @soniaydesigns approached me to do a collaboration with her for this, I was more th

Go At Your Own Pace

I woke up yesterday morning to an email from Mye De Leon . This email was a great reminder that I think a lot of people need to hear (myself included). Let me quote you some of the words from her email: “ Creating for social media should never be your number one priority! There are way better reasons for you to focus on. Create because you want to: Practice and better your skills. Develop your own style. Share a message or a technique with your followers. If your purpose for creating is because you need to post on Instagram, it'll eventually burn you out.” Well, let me tell you that I have been there and done that. I originally started posting my lettering mainly to practice and document my progress, which eventually led to developing my own style. I was so dedicated to practicing that I made a commitment back in November 2015 to practice lettering everyday for 100 days. It was awesome! I could see how quick I was improving. It was hard work, bu